Changeworks’ Environmental Policy supports Changeworks’ Strategic Plan and our vision for a world where people are able to live, work and enjoy life with a low carbon impact.
We recognise that our own energy, waste and transport activities have an impact on the environment, and we are committed to:
- Transitioning to a true net zero organisation from 2040, under which our buildings, estates and entire operations will cease to generate any emissions
- Reducing our carbon emissions to 70% of current levels by 2030 through a target of 14% year-on-year carbon savings
- Maintaining carbon neutrality throughout by balancing any residual emissions through carbon offsetting or comparable activities
- Enacting, monitoring and evaluating our Carbon Reduction Plan – planned interventions and practical activity each year to deliver carbon savings
- Openly publishing our carbon footprint, offsetting activities and plans to reduce our impact each year
- Maintaining an effective Environmental Management System certified to the international standard ISO 14001.
Changeworks will always strive for the environmentally sustainable options. In most cases, doing so is at least as convenient as ‘normal’ practices. But more often, choosing a lower carbon approach brings other benefits, such as saving money or improving health. Building a sustainable low carbon society requires us all to play our part, and we will continue to support organisations, communities and individuals to achieve and enjoy low carbon living.
In achieving our low carbon goals, Changeworks will:
- Comply with all present and future environmental legislation and other requirements relevant to our operations
- Commit to the protection of the environment, including the prevention of pollution
- Maintain an effective Environmental Management System certified to the international standard ISO 14001
- Continually improve our Environmental Management System through the setting of environmental goals and objectives aimed at reducing our organisation’s environmental impact
- Use green energy suppliers wherever practicable to reduce carbon dioxide emissions
- Provide tools to help evaluate and prioritise activities based on their carbon impact and ensure they are aligned with our goals and ambition
- Monitor and evaluate the organisation’s overall carbon footprint and environmental performance at team level to ensure we are able to meet our targets
- Provide relevant support and training through Changeworks’ Carbon Reduction Team to encourage staff and volunteers to consider the environmental impact of their work and to make sustainable choices
- Expect staff to minimise the environmental impact of their travel during work, utilising low carbon public transport and active travel when feasible
- Encourage staff and volunteers to consider the environmental impact of their travel to work, and provide encouragement and support to make use of sustainable travel options
- Provide staff with access to electric or hybrid cars for business purposes to reduce carbon dioxide emissions
- Offer the Cycle to Work Scheme to staff to make purchasing a bike more affordable
- Promote the use of online collaborative tools to minimise the need for business travel
- Minimise the production of waste within our offices and reuse and recycle as many materials and items as possible
- Comply with the Waste (Scotland) Regulations 2012 by using SEPA registered waste carriers to collect our source segregated materials for recycling
- Adhere to Changeworks’ Sustainable Procurement Policy and Guidelines to ensure purchasing decisions are based on achieving the lowest practicable environmental impact and to source items as ethically as possible
- Promote environmental awareness to Changeworks’ suppliers and contractors and within the local community
- Seek opportunities to work in partnership with others to reduce our individual and collective environmental impacts and to set and follow environmental best practice.
We will regularly review this policy to make sure it is up-to-date and accurate.
Updated February 2024.