Kerbside Recycling

Too Good To Waste

What would you like to reduce, reuse, repair or recycle?

Kerbside Recycling


City of Edinburgh Council has recently launched a new kerbside recycling service. What goes in what bin?      

Green bin - Tins, cans, paper, cardboard, envelopes, shredded paper, plastic bottles and bottle tops, pots, tubs and trays- put the items in loose, do not use plastic or black bags. Some examples of pots, tubs and trays include yoghurt pots, tubs containing cleaning products, meat trays, margarine tubs, ready-meal containers, punnet style containers that hold fruit / vegetables such as mushrooms or grapes and pots containing facial or body creams. Blue box - Glass, batteries, small electricals and textiles.

Food waste bin - All food waste

Brown bin - Garden waste. You can find further information about your collection on the City of Edinburgh Council website: 

East Lothian

The multi-material green and blue box kerbside recycling service currently collects recyclable material from almost 96% of households, and the recycling bins from 3% of households.

The following items are accepted:

Blue box/blue lidded bin: newspapers; magazines; paper; catalogues; contents of unwanted mail; telephone directories; Yellow Pages, cardboard and envelopes.

Green box/green lidded bin: glass bottles & jars; food & drink cans; plastic bottles, pots, tubs, trays, tops & straws (removed from containers); empty aerosol cans & clean aluminium foil.

A garden waste kerbside collection is available 92% of households. See GARDEN WASTE.

For more information contact East Lothian Council:

T: 01875 824 305


The multi-material red box and blue bin kerbside recycling service collects recyclible material from all households.

The following items are accepted:

Blue bin: Paper: newspapers, magazines, office paper, telephone directories and Yellow Pages, brochures and catalogues, leaflets, envelopes (including window envelopes). Cardboard: cereal boxes cardboard packaging, large brown cardboard boxes, cardboard tubes.

Other items: Foil and foil containers, Aerosol cans, Food tins and drink cans, Cartons - eg Tetra Pak. Rigid plastic food and drink packaging

Red box: wine bottles, cooking sauce jar, jam jars, beer bottles, coffee jars, ketchup bottles, baby food jars.

Remove wine bottle corks and jar lids. Rinse glass bottles and jars clean and place them directly into your red box for collection.

A garden waste kerbside collection is available to about 96% of householders.

For more detailed information contact:

Midlothian Council's Recycling Helpline:

T: 0845 130 2322

West Lothian

The following items are accepted:

Food and drink cans; food and drink cardboard cartons; empty aerosols; paper (including newspapers, magazines, brochures, catalogues and unwanted mail but no envelopes); telephone directories (including Yellow Pages); lightweight card (card food packaging, cereal boxes, kitchen and toilet roll tubes); and plastic bottles - type 1 (PET/PETE) and type 2 (HDPE) only.

A garden waste kerbside collection is available to over 68,000 households. See GARDEN WASTE.

For more information contact:

West Lothian Council's Recycling Helpline:

T: 01506 777 810

Key to symbols

Environmental Suggestion
Star Action

Got a second? Your feedback is very valuable to us.

We've got 3 quick questions for you.

Give feedback